Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Under Achiever

From the time I was a child, my parents told me I could do anything. I was smart enough, had enough 'gumption' and they were very supportive of my efforts. Of course, I didn't ever feel capable. Do any of us? How many of us have a mountain of confidence that allows us to face new tasks with no fear?
As I sit here this morning in my baggy sweatpants, hair in a pony tail and a foreign substance stuck to my shirt (where did THAT come from?), I wonder why I have no confidence.
I believe and trust in my Lord. I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I have GREAT friends who encourage me at every turn. I was even told the other day that I am an 'under achiever'. Now most people would be insulted. I took it as a compliment. It means I am listening to God.
In my previous life, I was an over achiever. This particular person didn't know me then. Back then, I was driven. I was compelled to achieve, to move ahead, to make my mark. I wanted to be admired, complimented. I worked 2 jobs, was a single mom, was active in my community, owned all the things I should (house, car, etc.) I was busy 24/7/365. Multi-tasking was a way of life. I learned to pick up things with my toes because I didn't have enough room in my hands and it would be more time efficient to make one trip. One day, a daycare child asked me how many Wal-Mart bags I could carry in from the car in one trip, and I proudly replied, "All of them! I am a MOM!"
So imagine my surprise when I was called an underachiever and was proud of that. After I described my former life to this person and assured him that I had made the CHOICE to focus on my family and work for God instead of the world, he understood. Slowing down (those who know me will laugh here, because it doesn't SEEM as though I've slowed down all that much!), was concious decision. Re-focusing on God's will for my life has redirected my energies. My friend had merely meant that he knew me, and thought I wasn't living up to my full potential (on a worldly plane).
Someday, I will see my mark on the world. It will be my children. It will be my family. It will be my witness. It will be my testimony. It will be my joy. I am looking now at the UNDER in under achiever as symbolic of being UNDER God's command. I can achieve more here, than anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home