Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Shuckin's

Over the years, I have declared myself a domestic goddess on occasion, but the truth is, I'm not real "Little House on the Prairie-ish". I like to put up applesauce, and last fall my husband coaxed me into helping him butcher a deer, but the only other thing I really do from scratch is corn. I have a friend who generously gave us about a million ears of corn, and I decided to freeze it. My five year old ,Sawyer , wanted to help. Since I thought cutting it off the cob, or dealing with the boiling water might be a little dangerous for someone of his age and attention span, I thought maybe he would like to peel the corn from its God given wrapper.
He went at it like a trooper, and at the end of the day, had a huge pile of corn shucks that rivaled any leaf pile you might find on a crisp autumn day. As a reward, I allowed him to leap into it and play. After all- he had worked very hard!!! As a result, his hair was FULL of the silk (or shuckin's as he referred to it!)
We were going to head over to my Mom's, and I know how she likes my children to look presentable when they enter the public eye, and this poor hillbilly child full of corn offal just wouldn't pass inspection, so I tried to make him stand still while I extracted everything from his hair. Much to my dismay, in his activity, I missed much of it, and it was immediately brought to my attention when we entered my mother's house. He, of course was proud of the shuckin's in his hair, because to him, it indicated HIS portion of the work. He was also excited when we ate the corn later and there were a few shuckin's in there too. He claimed it made the corn taste better. (Others have a different opinon, and tactfully pick it out!)
Do we have shuckin's in our hair? Is there something clinging to us that we are proud of that might not be viewed that way by the rest of the world (or God)? Maybe the world IS proud of us, but they shouldn't be! Has God tried to remove these shuckin's from us, only to have us squirm and writhe so He can't get them all out? Sometimes the fruits of our works produce things we are proud of, but are actually not a desired result. How do we become aware of the fact that they DON'T make the corn taste better? Ask God, ask Christian friends.....you may find you don't want those shuckin's in your hair after all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home