Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Proverbs 31

I can't write this book without addressing this annoying passage. If my audience is mostly Christian women, we all have chewed on this biblical reference and a lot of us have spit it out. When I first read it years ago, I was just plain mad at God for expecting me to do these things. How dare He want me to 'get up while it is dark and provide food for my family and servant girls'. (Where are they by the way? I have a stack of laundry that needs to be folded!) This woman sets the bar very high. I'm not much of a jumper. I also hated it because I thought that men could use it as ammunition to make me submit to them (and I don't like that word!)

Now, years later and miles further into my spiritual journey, I'm not AS offended, but I still giggle when I read it. After all, I do not have a husband who 'praises me'. My children don't 'rise and call me blessed'. I usually get a "Leave me alone and let me sleep!" "Just 5 more minutes Mom!!!" or "Do I HAVE to go to school today?" I will have to say, I can check off a lot more of these categories since I have started listening to God. I like to wear purple (after all, it IS the color of royalty, and I'm a domestic goddess!), but its not really considered fine linen unless I have found a really good deal at the second hand store. I try to extend my hand to the needy. My kids have some scarlet colored clothes . Most often they are pink because a red sock has found its way into the white load. I think I speak with wisdom and try to dole out faithful instruction. My lamp doesn't go out at night. I can only get stuff done once everyone is in bed.

I still fall really short in all the areas of gardening and sewing. That takes up a lot of time, and there are bugs outside. EEWWW!! The sewing thing escapes my abilities. I'm hoping that hanging out with the Mennonite women of my congreagation might hone those skills a bit. Maybe someday I can check that one off and make my daughter a dress that doesn't require her to lean forward so her hemline is straight, or make my son a shirt that doesn't evoke taunts of 'Quasimodo'!

My favorite part of the passage is the end. It declares that beauty is fleeting (mine ran away like a racehorse on steroids), but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. I fear the Lord! I need to be praised! The last verse ensures that I have earned a reward and I WILL be praised....so for now I'll rise before dawn, throw some hot water in that instant oatmeal, wash some dishes and get that laundry going. Oh- and say 'hi' to God. After all, He is the one I'm ultimately doing all of this for, and I know He loves me and appreciates me and will greet me with a big smile and say, "Well done good and faithful servant!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Hey! I got the counter to work on my page! Where's yers? Wait... I lost it. Damn!
Oh, I'm supposed to comment on the post...
Um...
Proverbs 31 is my fave.
That's all I have to say about that.

I hope I hear those words... Well done...

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proverbs 31 describes how awesome and strong God made woman. i don't think i agree with your interpritation...

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lori Anne said...

I respect everyone's opinion. This blog was written with humor- not malice. I am more 'on board' with the whole thing as my walk strengthens.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home