Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Wisdom of Bambi

Disney has such insight! Bambi has always been one of my favorites, but until recently, I never saw the big "GOD'' message written all over it!

One of the best scenes (and the one to invoke the most emotion from ME), is the one where Bambi's mother introduces him to the meadow for the first time. She approaches cautiously, sniffing and testing the wind. She knows she needs to go there, but also is aware of the dangers.

In the meadow, we see the sweet, nourishing grass. There is wide open space for running. There are other deer in the meadow. The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing and Bambi wants to be there. Bambi NEEDS to be there. The meadow, for me, represents God's love. There are so many great and wonderful things to be found in that light. They are things I cannot do without in my life. I NEED to be fed. I NEED companionship with others of my kind (Christians). I NEED to exercise my faith in a space worthy of stretching my legs. I NEED the happiness and fulfillment I can find only in Christ.

As I run toward the meadow, I also have to realize there are dangers there. As a Christian, when I am wallowing in the light and grace of God, I will be more vulnerable to the attack of the hunter (Satan). I will be more visible. My actions can be observed more easily and closely. Eyes I cannot see will watch me. I cannot be unaware of these dangers and must guard myself against them. This is why Bambi's mother spent so much time researching the situation before entering. It is why she watched, and sniffed and used all of her senses.

Sometimes, even when we are careful, we cannot see all that will be there to prey on us. Like Bambi's mother, we are wounded as we run from our attackers. With each attack, we become more and more aware of what it takes to survive in the meadow. We are more able and capable to hand down that knowledge to those who would follow us. We use our experiences- both good and bad- to educate others who want to enter the meadow. In her death, she was teaching Bambi life lessons.

So find yourself a Bambi and impart on him the wisdom of your walks in the woods and your excursions into the meadow. Don't be afraid to find purpose in your wisdom and experience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see ya back! I imagine, in God's light we can find lots of good from Disney. I wouldn't go so far as to endorse it all, of course. Thanks for sharing this.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home