Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pantsititus

I've finally been diagnosed. My affliction is Pantsititus. I've never been able to put a name to this horrible disease until now. I have been plagued with physical symptoms since I was a teen. I find that I drool excessively when I encounter every day scents...such as Cinnabons and grilled steaks. I get annoying red creases from jeans that cut into my flab around my midsection. My heart palpitates every time I pass a full length mirror. (This has caused me to have to hang all of my mirrors at head height.) I make frequent trips to the bathroom. It causes a secondary emotional condition called "Fat Girl Syndrome" that is marked by an innumerable amount of delusions and misconceptions.

It's been debilitating. I can't wear certain types of clothing (such as swimsuits) or fabrics....spandex and lycra have become my worst enemies. I make concessions in my every day life to accomodate this crippling ailment. I avoid staircases and seek elevators and escalators because of achy joints.

My Pansititus has gone into remission on occasion. There were a few months in 1991 where my symptoms all but subsided and I was able to live my life in a normal fashion. Telltale paranoia about complete strangers laughing and pointing all but disappeared. In the fall of 2004 I thought I was cured all together. I never experienced the creases or the drooling for a period of months. My sagging self esteem returned and I enjoyed normal pleasures such as sitting in a chair with my legs tucked under my chin. I could cross my legs when sitting down since they weren't so swollen as to hinder that flexibility. When I passed a full length mirror, I didn't scream in horror....I actually sought them out on occasion to admire my symptom-free body.

Oh- the scars were still there.....emotionally and physically. You could see the red lines of stretch marks on my skin and I still got a little teary every time I watched Shallow Hal, but they were the tears akin to those of a recovering alcoholic who has just recieved their 1 year chip.

When the disease returns (as it inevidibly does), I attempt to make it less noticable by tanning my disfigured shape. It's like a pork chop on the grill...much more attractive when it is golden brown. Thing is, it's still a pork chop with all the fat and calories of the lily white one that was tossed over charcoal just a few minutes before! (But it DOES look more appetizing!)

I know the technology is out there to beat this disease....to send it into remission forever. I know all the 'drugs' to take to make the symptoms subside, but I also know, that as with so many other diseases, there is only one sure fire cure - prayer. During my times of remission, I know that I had leaned on the Lord for power and He willingly gave it to me. I know He wants me to be cured and happy and symptom free. All I need to do is ask and then follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home