Fat Old Mom's Wit and Wisdom (as inspired by God)

Come here to read the humorous spiritual rantings of a Fat Old Mom who thinks she has something to say.

Name:
Location: Hennepin, Illinois, United States

I am a happy, healthy Christian Mom of 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it). I love animals, helping others and serving God in whatever capacity He calls me to do so. Fat Old Moms was a term born of a desire to define this season of my life. My girlfriends and I go on an annual 'Fat Old Moms' weekend where we leave our husbands and children and explore ourselves and return to 'chick' status for a couple of days. We seek Christian influence in each other, but also allow ourselves to BE ourselves.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Outrageous Hope

While attending a presentation for an organization called Emmaus House, one of the singers had written a song that included a line with the phrase "Outrageous Hope". Their ministry is designed to reach out to the male prostitutes in the Chicago area. I was amazed at a couple of things...first of all that I was attending this drama/presentation at Plow Creek Fellowship- a community of Mennonites who seemed WAY too conservative to support this kind of ministry, and secondly that those words spoke so loudly to me on that day. I also was shocked to know that many people didn’t even know that male prostitutes existed!

About a year before this event, I had gone through a very troubling time. My husband had walked out on me and I was left with my two children in what seemed a hopeless situation. My finances were in the toilet, I had no answers about WHY and I was depressed, losing about 40 lbs in 2 1/2 months time. (As a fat girl, I kind of LIKED that aspect of depression!) My world had fallen apart. All of the things I had hoped for and dreamed of seemed to be vanishing...BUT, from the instant I had found his note and wedding ring on my desk, I had hope....outrageous hope!

I KNEW God was going to repair my marriage. I didn’t understand the peace I felt in the quiet times of my sorrow, but somewhere deep inside of me, I knew that if I was faithful to Him, He would be faithful to me. For 2 1/2 months, I waited. Satan tempted me and told me I had every right to just get out. I was validated by all of my friends and family. I was given biblical support for going through with a divorce, but still I held on.

I had Outrageous Hope. In the light of what seemed an endless tunnel, I saw light. I didn’t need to understand it to know it was there. I didn’t need to have anything tangible to hold onto, but I persevered with God’s help. When I started to falter, God nudged me in the right direction and outrageous hope won!

John came back. We faced some realizations, and our relationship has grown and is maturing in Christ. We still have our moments. I suspect all couples do, but I know if we can make it through the tough times, we won’t have to rely on outrageous hope any more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home